The European Platelet Network (EUPLAN) aims to provide an international excellence platform for information exchange and promotion of basic and clinical research on blood platelets and megakaryocytes. The network therefore supports the organization of a biannual conference in Europe for basic scientists and clinicians working in the field of platelet and megakaryocyte research.
- The first edition of the conference in Maastricht (The Netherlands) was a great success with more than 200 participants.
- The 2nd EUPLAN conference was held September 25-26th 2014 in Le Bischenberg (France).
- The 3rd EUPLAN conference (September 21-23 2016) was held in Bad Homburg vor der Höhe (Germany).
- The 4th EUPLAN conference was held September 19-21st 2018 in Bruges (Belgium).
- The 5th EUPLAN conference will be held in Italy 2022 (organizers Mauro Torti and Marco Cattaneo). Due to COVID-19 pandemic, this conference has been postponed and will take place in Milan (Italy) on 28-30 September 2022.
With more than 200 attendants from leading basic research and clinical groups in Europe these meetings were very successful.
KEY OBJECTIVES OF THE EUPLAN INITIATIVE
- Translation of platelet genomics and proteomics knowledge into platelet function research in relation to thrombosis and bleeding.
- Identification and test of novel anti-platelet agents with high potential to prevent arterial thrombosis without side effect of bleeding.
- Establishment of the regulation of megakaryocytopoiesis and platelet production
- Characterization of new platelet mutations or genes throughout Europe that contribute to hemostasis and may lead to congenital bleeding disorders.
- Validation of system biology approaches to investigate platelet function.
- Development of new tests for the assessment of platelet function and for monitoring parameters of platelet functionality in the course of anti-thrombotic therapies.
- Integrated research to initiate clinical studies to test new anti-platelet medication.